Experienced homeowners may know a few of the telltale signs that their furnace is about to kick the bucket. Loud or strange noises, poor indoor air quality and bad smells are just a few of the signs that a diligent homeowner will notice in a failing furnace. The question is, should you replace your furnace, or should you call for furnace repair in Utica, NY?
Here are three key factors that will likely result in choosing to replace your furnace:
- It’s old: Although they’re built way better than they used to be, furnaces don’t last forever. Most furnaces have a lifespan of about 15 years. After about a decade and a half, furnaces start to break down more and more frequently. The parts just can’t handle the workload they used to. Paying for a new furnace can be a bummer, but it’ll increase the resale value of your home, and shouldn’t require repairs for a while.
- Repairs are expensive: Going along with the first point, repairs are bound to cost more and more as your furnace ages. A repairman will have to spend more time working on your furnace, and possibly have to replace more parts. Parts and labor are your two costs when calling a repairman. So, it goes without saying that, the more time a repairman spends at your house and the more parts he has to replace, the more you’ll have to pay for repairs.
- Your energy bills are increasing: Furnaces usually become less energy efficient as time goes on. They have to work harder to pump out the same amount of heat as they did in years past. The harder your furnace works, the higher your bills will be. One of our new, energy efficient furnaces can save you tons of money each year on your energy bills!
There are still some situations in which furnace repair is likely going to be the better option. Here’s a look at three of the most common:
- Your furnace is on the younger side: As mentioned above, furnaces don’t last forever. That being said, there’s no reason to go out and buy a new one the instant you run into a few problems. Give us a call if you have a furnace on the newer end of the spectrum, and let us perform quick repairs.
- Problems are few and far between: Regardless of their age, furnaces are bound to have issues from time to time. Just because you’ve noticed a few signs of a failing furnace, it doesn’t automatically mean you need a new one. Mitigate the risk of having a problem with your furnace by calling one of our professionals for preventative maintenance each fall. A quick maintenance call and cleaning will greatly reduce the risk of a mid-winter breakdown.
- Repairs don’t cost much: Furnace repair costs aren’t a one-size-fits-all type of service. Some repairs (usually the easy and quick ones) cost a lot less than others. Do some research on the cost of a new furnace. If a repair is significantly cheaper than the cost of replacement, just have it repaired!
MJM Plumbing & Heating is your number one source to buy new furnaces and for furnace repair in Utica, NY! Give us a call if you’re unsure whether you need a new furnace, or if you need one of our experienced technicians to repair a broken part.
Categorised in: Furnace Repair
This post was written by Writer